Self Portrait Propaganda Poster

  Propaganda Poster






Artist statement: 

I am not interested in politics and not involved in social movements. I only decide to watch TV news when I visit my mother since it is her daily entertainment. I will need clarification if I choose those topics for my propaganda poster, especially having my face in the art. So, I wanted to more focus on the feelings among humans, specifying people who are afraid to share their genuine emotions in front of others. People seal their surfaces and keep them to themselves to avoid societal rejection and worry about getting judged. They believe their opinions and feelings don't matter, from not speaking up about their views and being someone else with whom people would enjoy being. Even though they are hurting themselves at the same time by building up all of that negative emotions as they would burst up any time and create distance within their loved ones. 





In those beliefs, I wanted to create a propaganda poster to present that people should be their authentic selves and stop hiding their feelings in silence towards others. I started looking for images to help creates an idea for my message in my poster and found females in one being forced into silence and trying to scream as an impact movement. So, combining the images and self-portraits into two different pictures by tracing them in illustrator. However, when I created the designs, I could decide on the final colors once I found a propaganda poster as inspiration because it shows the mixed emotions between sadness and anger within the characters. For example, one woman is in the shade of red-violet to describe the feeling of rage while not being able to speak if she were holding up her feelings. Sometimes, if someone holds it in, their face turns reddish. Also, the blue woman comes/blends with the background to show as a shadow but pops out simultaneously to express if she wants to scream her feelings of depression.   
        





Comments

Popular Posts