Calligram Project

 Calligram Project 

Artist statement: 

I wanted an image that represents myself going into deep thoughts by thinking about how life is still growing and can be planned when writing to my future self. I wanted it to describe how you are still growing in the side as a person, even as an adult, even if some obstacles might hold you back, and you still got to move forward for the better. So, I decided to investigate some inspiration online and combined two images in a sketch to create my idea with significance behind it by using only the pen tool in Abode illustrator, which in the end, took six to eight hours to complete. The two images show the female thinking with doubts since you never know what the future holds or things may go differently than you have thought. While one of the images shows the female with a tree growing in the back and a lovely window scenery, it helped bring the meaning behind it. 










The background of the blue sky and clouds can get the image that you are lost in thoughts. I changed the design of the tree into different flowers growing out of the female because plants can have a language, especially giving them to others as a gift. I have used roses, daises, lilies, tulips, stocks, thyme, daffodils, and delphinium. They represent the interpretation of love, hope, peace, life, friendships, change, strength, goodwill, and new beginnings that people must go through daily and continue until the end. Also, I decided to show more negative emotions by adding more repeating words and sentience involving words such as darkness and loneness. It helps bring out the idea of how the future can sometimes be uncertain, and others think that there is a chance that you will be all by yourself.



Future Self Letter:

I would consider myself a person who doesn’t look much into the future; instead, I focus more on the present since my decisions affect my timeline. I don’t even have a solid plan for what I will do after getting my bachelor’s degree. I’m glad I made it into college without failing classes as a miracle. Although writing this letter to my future self-give a small help in organizing the thoughts that I want to see and accomplish to receive a peaceful life with others around me. If I were able to investigate my twenty years older self, then there would be things that I imagine seeing in that time as a mature adult but still able express silliness in moments. A person who continues making art in any media that she desires in the form of digital and physical, but still enjoys the challenge until the very end, even though there will be negative obstacles. Someone who still moves forwards, considering that the internet can hurt people, which the present self would hide to prevent. However, hopefully, I will be more confident in facing the internet in the future while presenting my artwork with no shame and staying my true self in front of many people. Even though I’m a person who has a hard shell on expressing emotions and keeping a distance from others due to past experiences, especially having a romantic relationship. Now, I am not interested in looking for someone to love because I consider it a distraction from my studies and love to focus on myself while learning about myself. I still doubt being in a relationship, but I still go for it as an opportunity in my life. If my future self-managed to find the one, I will be glad and thank them for choosing me as their love while handling my awkwardness and tough side, even if I believe I should only stay alone in the darkness. I might be clingy and hesitated at first, but thanks, and I hope we will agree on having an adopted child, although I might have my future adopted child before meeting you. I want to be able to stay in touch with my loved ones, mainly my mother, since she planned during the present time to move away from the United States. She wants to live in Guatemala for the rest of her life after I complete my college years with a solid career due to family issues. I know it will be challenging not having my mother on my side, but as long she is happy, I will manage somehow. We both know there will be a time in our future when I will let the darkness inside since we are the ones who stay silent and show the fake side, but please don’t forget that we are not alone anymore; especially those who care about you since we know that loneness is not always pleasant to feel.

Comments

Popular Posts